Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Karē Raisu

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

So yeah, one is bound to succumb to cooking this dish when one spend half her time immersed in the Japanese fandom. Plus I love love love spicy food too anyway =D


So there are 3 ways to cooking Japanese Curry:

1. Using ready made sauce with veggies included

2. All ingredients from scratch except for curry base (Curry Roux)

3. From...scratch


And because my daddy bought the WRONG stuff, I ended up with a whole bunch of raw ingredients and a box of ready made sauce with veggies instead of my curry roux -_-


So until I have time to go over to the next city to pick up my curry roux, I decided to start on the 1st method before trying the 2nd later so I can compare the taste. No, I am not trying the 3rd method what from scratch cuz I am lazy just like that =)


1st method


1. Buy pork and a box of sauce. Get the hottest one (5) cuz 3 totally has no kick. I mean really, not spicy at all =C


2. Cut your pork into cubes/thin slices and saute them in a pan.



3. Boil water and dump the whole sauce packet in and let it boil for 3-5 minutes. It says to dump the whole packet in exactly like that okay so don't bother asking me if I'm sure. I AM SURE. Though I am not sure if its actually safe to boil packets really. Nvm, can sue if anything goes wrong =)



4. Pour sauce out from packet and serve hot with rice.


And there you have it, kare raisu~


So what does it taste like?


EXACTLY LIKE MY MOM'S CURRY.


Which is what me and my sisters always call 'total fail of malay curry' lol. So well, now she'll be happy to know that contrary to what we say, her curry is not fail. She'll just have to call it Japanese curry and not Malay curry instead XD


Is it nice? Yeah. Kind of I guess.


2nd method


This is the roux and can serve up to 12 people per box and I am going to continue the rest of the commentaries in the same robotic tone cuz I am feeling very tired after spending a whole day designing my LJ layout but DAMN IT LOOKS SO PRETTY NOW SRSLY I THINK I SHALL JUST BLOG THERE INSTEAD =D



Potatoes, carrots and onions which is still the bane of my existence I swear I can feel my eyes just hurting now just by looking at the picture ugh.



Sauteing! Oh I used pork cuz I don't want beef anymore =)



Dump the rest of the veggies in ahh I love this part really cuz it reminds me of when I was young and used to pluck grass and berries and dump them into my tiny toy wok and pretend to fry away like no tomorrow =DDD And it looked something like this. Only uhm greener.



Add cups and cups of water and let it simmer on low (but I am impatient and turned it up high which I think might be the reason for the sorry state of my curry later but I'm not sure) for 50 friggin minutes omg just gimme the packaged sauce anytime....



Add the roux after 50 minutes and this is the part where my curry turned from awesome to whattheheckisthis? I don't understand how TEN minutes can change everything but it can. Suddenly my curry looked like a muddy wetland and I refuse to show you that pic cuz it totally killed my appetite -yes it is that bad- and I want to appear nothing short of awesome on my blog so byebye ugly picture

And so skipped to the end result:


OH ALKDJFHALFA I PUT TO MUCH POTATOES SIGH SO NOW ITS A LUMPY MESS SO MUCH FOR MY PREVIOUS HAUGHTINESS AT FROWNING UPON THE PACKET OF PREMADE SAUCE MIX EARLIER SO THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING OVER COCKY.

Yes I am aware that it looks NOTHING like the curry pic on the box and I wrote a letter of complaint to the company about bad advertising by deceiving consumers with misleading photoshopped pics that looks too good to be true and thus crushing the cooking spirit of the buyers when theirs come out looking more like canned dog curry instead but they just told me that it is mostly my fault and would I like to take up some cooking classes =C


But the taste is still the same and idk about you but I think Japanese curry is pretty meh. 2nd sis liked it lots though but I still find nothing special about it. I kinda expected it to taste mind-blowingly out of the world or something like the Hayashi Rice one did since Japanese food are all so awesomely yummy but I am disappointed =C


AND IT'S NOT CUZ MY COOKING SKILLS SUCK WTH I DARE YOU TO DO BETTER!

NO don't take up my dare wth you're just supposed to cower and give in to my stated brilliance.


Anyway, I still think Malay curry is like the BEST in the world so there. Gosh how I miss it.

7 comments:

♥~kimmy~♥ said...

heh.. i like Seung Ri also.. but others i onli can recognize face.. dun really know who is who.. haha..

Tiffany Siew said...

hahahha...good effort in trying to cook curry.. i didn't get to try any curry paste here yet cause all of the sauce that i tried was bought from kuching.heheh..kuching=food heaven

Ammy said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU N000000000B! you should put the onion in the freezer for like ten minutes before slicing it so you wont have such a hard time slicing it. i thought you knew that??

but yeah, it hurts like a son of a gun when i start to tear up then accidentally bruch my eyes with my hands, i get all WTF-y and start crying for real and end up in the hospital =D

i may or may not have just made up that last part.

hana said...

@kimmy: lol wrong post. anyway Seung Ri is <3 and BB is awesome really ^^

@tiffany: THANKS! But I saw yours and it WAS AWESOME I need to learn from you really orz

Kuching = food heaven indeed :D

@Ammy: huh. what freezer? someone should invent ONION SHADES and save us the trouble of painful teary eyes.

f said...

Oo kare raisu!!! I love that stuff. It's relatively easy to prepare and tastes great. I usually do it the first way. Works fine for me. :)

hana said...

Yeah I am so sticking to the 1st method from now on. Is it really that tasty cuz I still find it somewhat mediocre in taste or maybe its cuz its not spicy enough =P

Anonymous said...

Haha, I will be going to taste original Indian curry XD

Muahahaha

I will get da recipe