Sunday, June 8, 2008

Happy Dragon Boat Festival

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Although I don't think you wish people that on this day. Yes the correct name is Dragon Boat Festival although I don't know how 'Duan Wu' becomes 'Dragon Boat' but then again I have no idea what 'Duan Wu' means and maybe it does mean that???


I am NOT late in my entry ok cause it's SUNDAY here =D


Look, I know 端午節 is like very common and half of you probably couldn't care less but I DIE DIE SHALL BLOG ABOUT IT OK because.......


I FINALLY MADE MY FIRST ZONGZI YESTERDAY!!!! *beams*



Those aren't my hands lah


I was bored and decided to help wrap some zongzi yesterday thinking I can finish them all in time to watch CSI Miami cause really, how hard can it be? I am pro at wrapping presents ok! And what is a bunch of leaves compared to unsymmetrical presents like soft toys? *sniffs haughtily*




See? Just bring the 2 ends together and fill it with a little rice then stuff it with meat and some peanut mix thingy.....




Cover with another layer of rice again then WRAP!!! =DDD


5 minutes later sees me battling with the stupid leaf that won't cover the zongzi.....


10 minutes later sees me successfully pulling the leaf down but now having to deal with a pentagonal zongzi......


15 minutes later of trying to squeeze it back in shape finally made a hole in the bottom thus spilling rice all over the floor.....


20 minutes later sees me rolling all over the floor blaming bamboo leaves and declaring that if it were Pandan leaves I could probably wrap it chio-ly....


25 minutes - I HEREBY DECLARE WAR ON ALL ZONGZI AND BAMBOO LEAVES!!! ROAR!!!


30 minutes - Spilling rice every minute and stuffing it back with MORE rice after each spill....


47 minutes later and CSI long forgotten, I finally successfully wrapped my first zongzi ok!!!! TRIANGULAR TOO!!! =DDD After tying it up happily I proceed to whip my camera out.....


ONLY TO SEE IT SLIP FREE FROM THE STRING AND FALL TO THE GROUND!!!!!!


alskajdshasdlajdoqwiueqdnasdkajakskadjakksksa *cries into pot of sticky rice*


I. give. up.


My mother was laughing hysterically at me T_______T Shall NOT lose to some stupid bamboo leaf hor and so I tried again and successfully wrapped four, FOUR OKAY!!!, zongzi beautifully in the end =DDD




My four is somewhere in that bunch =)


Shaddap and don't ask me how long it took and just praise me for wrapping FOUR ok *happyface*




My very own hand wrapped zongzi!!! Shall zoom in for you to see!!!




YUMMY??? *grabs readers by their heads and bob it up and down*


I knew you would agree with me =DDDD


Conversation at the dining table:


2nd sis: EEEE why this one no meat one?? Stupid Hannah must be you wrap one.

Daddy: This one not that pretty...

Mummy: Must be Hannah make one...

Me: *GLARES* what?!

All: Nothing. Just kidding ehehe....


WHAT LAR!!! And just like that they used me as a scapegoat for every un-nice zongzi they ate. But this, this convo really takes the cake:


2nd sis: You know, actually you would make a successful zongzi seller in Kuching =D

Me: REALLY?!!! *happy*

2nd sis: Yeah. All your zongzi all rice and little meat. EXACTLY like the sellers back home.


"..............................................."



My sister now has a flatten head.


Now excuse me while I put away the dented pressure cooker cover....*skips off happily*

6 comments:

@ SmalL G!RL said...

ahahha!!! so funny ur expressions & descriptions & soo...so cute!!! wen my mum asked me to help, i just say no!!!! dat day i was just feeling soooooo sick dat even wen i sit there doing nth, i felt like wna die...ur previous post about tummy pain pain...sabar lah!! haha

Akira 思胜 said...

Wow, great photos on how to make dumplings here! Thanks for sharing ya!

hana said...

@small g!rl: I understand tht feeling. Haha i was like tht on saturday. stomach cramps have since receded though but still very beh song lol.

@akira: thanks for the compliments ^^

Portia said...

well-done!great photos!!!

Wendy Sim said...

hihi...
Thx for visiting my blog oh~
you have nice layout too..
Stay cute always ya girl!

xoxo/

hana said...

@portia: thanks a lot =DDD

@wendy: Thx. Will visit you again =)