Monday, August 10, 2009

Daddy's Birthday

Monday, August 10, 2009
Today is daddy's birthday and here I am blogging away after I'd just stuffed myself with 10 spring rolls and countless sticks of kebab 2 hours before.

Screw my diet hor, I think I shall just accept the fact that I can never ever become perfectly slim like I was 4 years back. Where is my stronger than steel willpower where I could don't eat anything for a day and spend like 4 freaking hours exercising daily? Where?! *cries

Anyway, I baked. Again :D



Its Vanilla Sponge Cake sandwiched with jam, fresh fruits, cream and topped with yet more fresh fruits with mixed nuts sprinkled on the sides. Exactly like how daddy wanted it to be ♥

And in case you're wondering, yes I stole the decorating concept from some random blog because artistic I am not and I need a guide if I were to make anything look remotely pretty :C I did made some minor changes anyway too so its not like its a blatant copy *mumbles

Below is the recipe in case you're interested:

(Click to Show Recipe)

Ingredients:

(A)
150g cake flour/superfine flour
1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1g) salt
10g milk powder

(B)
60g cooking oil
50g water
4 (75g) yolks
80g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

(C)
4 (150g) whites
90g castor sugar
1/4 tsp (1g) cream of tartar

Method
1. Sift ingredients (A) and put it aside
2. Whisk yolks and sugar till it turns lemon color
3. Add oil, water and vanilla and mix till well blended
4. Add ingredients (A) and mix it slowly till it forms a smooth batter
5. Whisk (C) on high speed till stiff
6. Fold in 1/3 of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and gently stir, then fold in the remaining egg white mixture and mix well gently
7. Pour batter into a lined 9" round cake tin
8. Bake in a preheated oven 356°F/180°C for 35-40 mins or till it springs back when touched
9. Once cooked, removed from oven and invert the cake on the wire rack until completed cooled
10.Removed from mold and decorate it.





SO CUTE RIGHT THE CANDLES!!!!! *_____* 2nd sis and I spent like 20 minutes (20!!!) in the baking aisle debating on whether to get normal candles, number candles, or this cute Happy Birthday ones. After 10 minutes we decided that normal candles were boring and is meaningless if not the correct amount and a fire hazard if it were to be in this case. The other 20 were spent debating between the number candles and these cuz the numbers were cheaper by 50 cents (yealar we super cheapskate how?) but then these were cuter and were more quantity wise blablabla and so we took the number candles in the end because we are so cheap but then switched at the last second cuz we didn't feel happy about our choice wteff.

However, cute as they may be, we soon discover that they make horrible candles when lighted. Due to the design, wax dripped from all corners onto both the cake and itself, snuffing their own flames in turn oh the horror of having to relight them every few seconds T______T




Most rushed birthday song ever sung -_-'

I am almost inclined to believe in the saying that 'looks aren't everything' after this event ah. If (these) candles could talk:

"Hi, I'm pretty :)

Useless
:C

But still pretty
:D"

I did say almost *smirks

It IS super cute what.




HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!!!! Thank you for all you've done for me and know that my love for you know no bounds really ♥ Words can never ever finish describing my love and adoration for you so I shan't even bother to start because it will never end and words can only go so far. So it is my prayer that God would continue to bless you always in everything you do as we look forward to celebrating your future birthdays together again as always in all the merry years to come :D I love you ♥

5 comments:

Abi~♥ said...

good you didnt blur out d face or put flower stickers on them xD

uncle, happy beloved birthday, and u're very cool :D

f said...

Nice caek. I should try baking too. :)

hana said...

@abi: that is because no strangers are reading my blog anymore :D So I guess its somewhat safe.

@faye: THANKS :D Yeah, you should. You've already tried cooking and wait, srsly, you never baked before? Why do I feel like I remember reading about you baking something on ur blog before....

Anonymous said...

help me say happy birthday to the big man for me , and help me congrats him for making it thru the operations for the brain tumor thingy , glad he's alive and happy . THX-ivan poong

faye said...

Yeap I have baked. Just never decorated with cream and stuff before.